PAK 927/1: CorsiClimAte - Seasonal and topographic partitioning of vapor transport, cloud and precipitation in Corsica, with special reference to PBL height [funded by DFG]
Prof. Dr. Jörg Bendix
Precipitation dynamics in Corsica will be investigated to unveil the interplay between local breeze Systems, large-scale circulation and topography. A classification of typical precipitation weather types affecting the Corsica region will be applied to account for the largeand local-scale (coupled land/sea/mountain breeze systems) influence. The local-scale characteristics and the interplay will be analysed with special reference to the development of the planetary boundary layer (PBL) as a discriminating proxy between the surface affected and the free atmosphere. Along an altitudinal transect from west to east, measurements of meteorological parameters will provide temporal high resolution precipitation and PBL information at different heights and expositions. Further, based on high resolution spatialexplicit cloud and precipitation maps derived from remote-sensing and ground-based observations the diurnal cycle of precipitation dynamics for entire Corsica related to the defined weather types will be examine. The underlying mechanisms as well as the cross-scale processes of PBL development and precipitation formation will be reflected in high resolution numerical modelling simulations. With the application of back-trajectory modelling sources and pathways of atmospheric vapour for the precipitation generation will be investigated, which may enable a proper interpretation of d18O measurements in the Corsican archives (water and tree rings) as required for the other projects of PAK 927.
Project website: www.corsicarchive.de
Publications and poster presentations:
- Häusser, M.; Szymczak, S.; Knerr, I.; Bendix, J.; Garel, E.; Huneau, F.; Trachte, K.; Santoni, S. & Bräuning, A. (2021): The Dry and the Wet Case: Tree Growth Response in Climatologically Contrasting Years on the Island of Corsica. Forests 12(9), 1-16.
- Knerr, I.; Trachte, K.; Egli, S.; Barth, J.; Bräuning, A.; Garel, E.; Häusser, M.; Huneau, F.; Juhlke, T.; Santoni, S.; Szymczak, S.; van Geldern, R. & Bendix, J. (2021): Fog - low stratus (FLS) regimes on Corsica with wind and PBLH as key drivers. Atmospheric Research 261, 105731.
- Juhlke, T.; Geldern, R.V.; Barth, J.; Bendix, J.; Bräuning, A.; Garel, E.; Häusser, M.; Huneau, F.; Knerr, I.; Santoni, S.; Szymczak, S. & Trachte, K. (2021): Temporal offset between precipitation and water uptake of Mediterranean pine trees varies with elevation and season. Science of The Total Environment 755, 142539.
- Szymczak, S.; Barth, J.; Bendix, J.; Huneau, F.; Garel, E.; Häusser, M.; Juhlke, T.; Knerr, I.; Santoni, S.; Mayr, C.; Trachte, K.; van Geldern, R. & Bräuning, A. (2020): First indications of seasonal and spatial variations of water sources in pine trees along an elevation gradient in a Mediterranean ecosystem derived from δ18O. Chemical Geology 549, 119695.
- Knerr, I.; Trachte, K.; Garel, E.; Huneau, F.; Santoni, S. & Bendix, J. (2020): Partitioning of Large-Scale and Local-Scale Precipitation Events by Means of Spatio-Temporal Precipitation Regimes on Corsica. Atmosphere 11(4), 417.
- Szymczak, S.; Häusser, M.; Garel, E.; Santoni, S.; Huneau, F.; Knerr, I.; Trachte, K.; Bendix, J. & Bräuning, A. (2020): How Do Mediterranean Pine Trees Respond to Drought and Precipitation Events along an Elevation Gradient?. Forests 11(7), 1.
- Climate station data from the Ghisonaccia LCRS station in Corsica 2017 - 2019 by Knerr, I. (2021)
- Climate station data from the Ajaccio LCRS station in Corsica 2017 - 2019 by Knerr, I. (2021)
- Climate station data from the Vivario LCRS station in Corsica 2017 - 2019 by Knerr, I. (2020)
- Climate station data from the Capanelle LCRS station in Corsica 2017 - 2019 by Knerr, I. (2020)
- Climate station data from the Bocognano LCRS station in Corsica 2017 - 2019 by Knerr, I. (2020)